This came from a reader, and I thought it would be great to get some discussion going. My dream? Wouldn't it be fabulous if there was an online option for supplementary coursework? What about classes your kids couldn't get into , or aren't offered at your home school? How about summer school? Need a class? Take it online over the summer! Could it be in the future? Well if education ever wants to meet the new age in technology it will! Our educational system needs an upgrade and needs to reach into the 21st century. Our kids deserve it. Let's utilize all options available to educate our kids.
Flex was approved by the County Board of Education in October. It will be an innovative and state-of-the-art school in the Mt. Diablo School District attendance area and is tuition free.
Students will be in school during regular school hours.
Flex offers the following:
- A school facility designed with learning in mind
- California-credentialed teachers and computer-assisted instruction. This provides teachers the opportunity to facilitate discussions, mentor students, and tutor those who need help.
- The program provides a consistent curriculum and frees up teachers to hold small group discussions and implement small group projects.
- A complete college prep curriculum that meets University of California “a-g” requirements and the core classes all have Honors/AP options.
- A wide selection of electives like Computer Programming, Introduction to Entrepreneurship, and Anthropology, just to name a few.
- Unlike most traditional schools, there just needs to be one student interested to offer an elective class - no minimum class sizes needed.
- Here is a list of courses http://www.k12.com/courses/high-school-courses/high-school-course-list/
- College and career planning and placement tools
- Science and Art labs
- The ability to participate in school clubs, activities and sports teams
- Offline materials and textbooks to supplement the learning experience as well as a laptop for each student's use.
- A self-pacing curriculum where a student can slow down when needed or move ahead if ready. Students will have small break-out sessions with a teacher to go over certain concepts they may be struggling with or to delve deeper into curriculum where they excel.
- The online instruction provides teachers daily assessments of a students progress and the faculty will meet weekly to review the data and develop individual plans for students based on their progress.
The people behind the organization are well-respected and experienced with charter schools.
Here is Mark Kushner's information, feel free to call him with questions:
555 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94102-1228